Saturday 17 September 2022

FRANCE - Sand between my toes

Today I am visiting Arcachon, a well-to-do resort south-west of Bordeaux, that's in the Bassin d'Arcachon, a large bay sheltered by the Cap Ferrat Peninsula.

I was heading to the Dune de Pilat - Europe's biggest sand dune. I mean big too it's almost 3 km long, 600 metres wide and 106 metres high. Apparently it is made up of 55 million cubic metres of sand.

0804 to Arcachon at Bordeaux St Jean station

After an early train to beat the weekend crowds, the number 3 bus was waiting outside Arcachon station for the 30 minute journey to the dune. The bus drivers were very helpful and adept at dealing with tourists struggling with anything from the language to contactless payment (contactless payment on public transport is very rare in France). The cost was 2 euro for a day ticket.

I'm not too sure that my photos really reveal the scale of this thing but here goes:





Unfortunately this is also the area which has recently seen the devasting forest fires and from what I saw the flames must have come right up to the dune.


Looking out from the top to the end of the Cap Ferrat Peninsula


After a couple of hours walking on the dune and believe me it really makes your legs ache, I returned to Arcachon for a wander and a spot of lunch. The local delicacy here are oysters which I am not keen on so I went for a salad of other seafood instead.





There is quite a bit of cash on display here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food