Friday 16 September 2022

FRANCE - Look no wires

Just a short post today as I have been travelling from Cognac to Bordeaux where I will be for the next three days, consequently I will be bringing you a full report from the city later on before I head for home.

In the meantime however, I wanted to share something with you that as a transport enthusiast is simply "doing my head in"

Bordeaux doesn't have a metro but instead has an extensive tram system. The city authorities didn't want unsightly wires or catenary spoiling the views of the city's historic buildings so instead opted for a system whereby the trams pick up their power from an electric third rail embeded in the street.

Yes thats it folks a live third rail in the street where the good people of Bordeaux walk - I don't really understand how it works but it is only live when the tram is directly above it - so the trams move around the city but I can stand on it and not get electrocuted. Way beyond my brain's comprehension!!

A tram with no wires

Me standing on the electrified rail

No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food