Monday 7 October 2019

Frankfurt, Brussels & Home

With my train not leaving until 2:30pm, I had the morning to see what Frankfurt has to offer. Sitting on the river Main, Frankfurt am Main (to distinguish it from Frankfurt an der Oder on the Polish border) is the economic powerhouse of Germany.  It's high-rise buildings have given it the nickname Main-Hattan.


The city was flattened during the WWII with the cathedral being the only large building that was left standing and that was just the outside walls. 


The reconstruction has produced a modern city of steel and glass with wide and busy roads but the old town square was rebuilt in traditional German style.



From Frankfurt's large station - one of Germany's biggest - I caught an ICE to Brussels and with 3 hours to kill in Brussels waiting for my connecting Eurostar, the Grand Place did not disappoint.

Brussels

Brussels
The Eurostar back to the UK was uneventful although I have to say the ride quality on the e320 is no where near as good as on the e300's. You won't have a clue what I'm on about but I had to say it anyway!

Now for three questions for you all to think about:

Firstly the one thing I really hate about Germany (and Switzerland) is the two single duvets on a double bed thing - all hotels in Germany seem to do it. Do Herr and Frau German not cuddle up under the duvet? For a single person who likes to wrap himself up in the duvet, cocoon style, it's really irritating.


Looking at the destination of this tram - do you think they have segregated public transport in Poland? Let me make it clear, I took a photo but did not go for a ride on the number 14!


They all love to forage in Poland and the Czech Republic. I saw loads of people getting off trains at wayside halts in the forest with wicker baskets and then getting back on the trains later in the day with those baskets full of wild mushrooms. Do you think these are poisonous given that they were still there?


Well that's it for this trip. The next one is 27th December to Ukraine - See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food