Thursday 24 September 2020

EDINBURGH - My Favourite City

People sometimes ask me what is my favourite place and there is without doubt only one contender - Edinburgh. I have visited more times than I can remember and it is a city I never tire of. Whenever I need a break, just a short time away to recharge the batteries, Edinburgh is somewhere I head to - far enough away from London to make it a mini adventure, close enough to make it easy to do. And so therefore, as I start to work my way back down from Inverness, it's where you now find me.

This is not going to be a wirlwind tour of the sights, I have done them all, at least once before and some are still closed anyway - The castle is open for instance but the Honours of Scotland (Crown Jewels) are closed. Instead I am going to wander around for a couple of days, taking advantage of the fact that it is relatively quiet. Anyone who has been here in August when the festival is in full swing will understand just how busy Edinburgh can be. Having said that even though I'm not a bagpipe fan, the tattoo is worth seeing at least once in your life and the fireworks during August are amazing - so when things return to some normality, August in Edinburgh is worth braving the crowds for.

This is going to be a short post today because, as this is the city that gave us body snatchers Burke & Hare, I'm going out on a guided walking tour this evening entitled "Doomed, Dead & Buried" !!

Here are some daytime pictures of Edinburgh to keep you going ........

Old Town - The Royal Mile

The Castle

Old Town Skyline

Old Town - Royal Mile

Palace of Holyroodhouse - The Queen's offical residence in Scotland

Old Town - St Giles Cathedral


No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food