Wednesday 23 September 2020

SCOTLAND - Make Your Intent Clear

The problem with the last two days has been a cold wind, but today the wind has gone, the sun has shone and it has been another glorious day in the Highlands.

There are some out there that believe that the scenery on the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh railway line is far better than that on the line to Mallaig. After travelling to Kyle today I am inclined to agree.

The first place I got off the train was a beautiful sunny Plockton. On the shore of Loch Carron, Plockton has starred in many films and TV shows. As you can see from these pics it's very photogenic round here.





From Plockton I followed a path that went along the shore through some woods to the next station from where I could rejoin the train - Duncraig.


In the history of Duncraig station today was going to be a very special day. It only gets about 350 passengers a year, so about 1 per day, and today it's passenger was going to be me. In years to come there will be a blue plaque erected stating:

The Grown Up Gapper boarded a train here

23 September 2020

I also had to prepare myself for the event too because Duncraig is a request stop. Trains only stop when required.

In official railway speak "Passengers are required to make their intent clear to the driver" In reality you position yourself on the platform where the driver can clearly see you and stick your arm out as if you are flagging down a bus (but believe me it never feels the same as stopping a bus). The driver will toot the horn to acknowledge they have seen you and is preparing to stop. You normally end up waving to each other as the cab goes past as well.

When the doors open the guard will usually say something along the lines of "I've worked on the railway for ten years and never picked up anyone here" Today the guard told me she was very thankful I had flagged the train down as she had two people to get off and realised a bit late she had forgotten to tell the driver to stop.

Although I was glad to have been of assistance, the appearance of two other people with bikes did make Duncraig feel a bit like Waterloo at rush hour!

I took the train down to Kyle of Lochalsh to "get the line in the book" and the 1 hour layover gave me enough time for some fish & chips before the ride back to Inverness.

These last two pics are of the Isle of Skye which is just across from Kyle.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food