Tuesday 26 September 2017

USA - Winding Down

9.5 Hours by train (and it was 3 hours late!) brought me to Washington DC. I'm winding down a bit now, partly because I have been here before so no list of sights to tick off and partly because it's hot - 31 degrees and almost no wind. My hotel is just behind the Capitol Building (where I have a tour booked for tomorrow) so I have just spent the day wandering around the "National Mall" which is the large park like area in the centre of the city.

The US Capitol

Washington Monument
Washington is a very low rise city because  no building is allowed to be taller than the monument. The city was also a purpose built capital, so has wide avenues, grand government buildings and wide open spaces. It also has a very modern metro system - note DC has a metro not a subway, as the capital it has to be cosmopolitan! Washington is one of my favourite cities and the Lincoln memorial is one of my favourite things to see in the world. It is so big!

Lincoln Memorial
View Down the National Mall from the Lincoln Memorial
The President says Hi

Martin Luther King Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food