Tuesday 15 June 2021

NORTHERN IRELAND - Back to the Giant's Causeway

It's time to revisit the Giant's Causeway, but the weather forecast for today was not that good with rain, or liquid sunshine as the Irish call it, forcast for the afternoon. As it happened though it was a fantastic day. Last time I was here I visited the rope bridge at Carrick-a-Rede and then walked  along the coast path to the Causeway. Today I started at the Causeway and continued walking along the coast path to Portrush.

Now look at these pictures of what is the National Trust's most visited site - very few people - in fact at one point I was standing there with just one other couple. A combination of pandemic and poor weather I guess.






The folk reading this from the lighthouse will be aware of a debate that is raging in Dover at the moment about our White Cliffs - I was thinking today that the end of the Giant's Causeway might be a suitable spot for a statue of Dame Vera ?? !!

The expected rain didn't really materialise this afternoon so the walk along the coast path was great. A blanket of cloud usually improves the general visibility and there were good views of Inishowen, Donegal and I could also be just make out Scotland on the horizion. The walk to Portrush took in a castle and a couple of lovely sandy beaches, sandy beaches that I had almost to myself, just a pity I had to have a hoodie and anorak on!!


Runkerry Beach

 Dunluce Castle

White Rocks Beach

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food