Saturday 8 February 2020

MEXICO - CDMX - 2


This dome topped monument is the Monument to the Revolution. It was originally to be part of a new parliament building but problems with construction meant that the building was never completed. Rather than demolish it the structure was re-purposed as a monument dedicated to the 1910 Revolution.


In the suburb of Coyoacan you can find the former home of artist Frida Kahlo. A beautiful vibrantly coloured dwelling housing some of her paintings and artifacts relating to her life. I'm going to admit I knew very little about her before I went but it was a very pleasant spot and interesting the only place on the trip where I have encountered queues of tourists.



In the same area (although I didn't visit) is a museum dedicated to Leon Trotsky who apparently was exiled to Mexico and was assassinated here.

As you know I have been travelling around for part of the trip with Claudia's family and some of those are football fans. We therefore ended up at the Aztec Stadium where Mexico has hosted two World Cups (and Pope Jean Paul II celebrated a mass!) Not something I would usually visit I but very interesting to see inside one of these big venues never the less.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food