Tuesday 24 September 2019

Prologue - A Two Day Trek

Hi everyone and welcome back to the blog. 

You now find me in the Polish city of Wrocław pronounced Vrotswov as the L with a line through it - Ł or ł - changes the pronunciation completely.

It has taken me two days of fairly intensive train travel to get here from Kent with an overnight stop in Frankfurt.  The traditional route from London to Frankfurt is via Brussels and Cologne but as I am using an Interrail pass, so am not really tied to a set route, I decided to travel via Paris and the high speed train that links France with Germany via Strasbourg - ideal for travelling to Southern Germany. Paris to Frankfurt takes about 3.5 hours.

The ICE from Paris at Frankfurt's Main Station
If, like me, you are a fan of Premier Inn you will be pleased to know that they are now expanding into Germany, so I spent the night in their relatively new hotel in Frankfurt - a short walk from the main station - very comfortable and being a British company no language barriers what so ever.


This morning I got a German ICE from Frankfurt to Dresden. ICE stands for Inter City Express and yes, the Germans really did copy the Inter-City brand from good old British Rail. A great feature of some high speed trains in Germany is that you can book a seat in a compartment behind the driving cab so you can pretend you are driving the train!


From Dresden it was a local train to Goerlitz to connect with a series of Polish trains to bring me here to Wrocław. And the Polish trains were nice and comfy too.


I am in Wrocław for 4 nights then I will cross the Sudety Mountains into the Czech Republic for 4 nights before returning to Dresden for 4 nights. The journey back from Dresden will be again via Frankfurt so hopefully we will have time for a quick look round there on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food