Thursday 13 June 2019

SPAIN - 201 km later

Father forgive me for I have sinned again .......

Today's post should have been all spiritual about us finally reaching our Pilgrimage destination. Instead I have to report laughing out loud next to a group of American pilgrims huddled around a slug. One was heard to exclaim "It looks like a snail without a shell"

In their defence - I can now report that I have checked the internet and there are large parts of the central USA that do not have slugs. Maybe I should not be so quick to judge!



The atmosphere on the Camino today is very very different. We stayed in Pedrouso last night. This is where several pilgrimage routes from all over Spain converge and pilgrims make themselves ready for the final day walking to Santiago.  Everyone today is walking with a purpose, renewed energy and renewed happiness.  








Eventually you reach the point where you get your first view of the great cathedral of Santiago de Compostela




We then walked through the suburbs, tiredness relieved by excitement. At one point I was high fiveing a older lady who I'd never met before because we had reached the sign saying 1 kilometre to go.




Eventually you wind through the narrow streets of the old city and reach the main square in front of the cathedral.






Our credencials are now full of stamps - Andrew & Sue have more than me because sometimes I just couldn't be bothered to get mine out to stamp. 


So we queued this afternoon to get our Compostela's written in Latin saying we have completed our pilgrimage. We also got a distance certificate where the distance walked has been calculated from our stamps 

201 Km 

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo Congratulations to all three of you for this fabulous achievement!

    ReplyDelete

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food