Thursday 10 August 2017

GERMANY - I am sailing

It was on day eight of my adventure that I boarded the Dutch Schooner Banjaard in the harbour at Rostock and set sail with a fair wind and calm seas to the colonies in the Americas .................... well not quite!

Rostock is currently hosting "Hanse Sail", an annual gathering of tall ships in Rostock and Warnemunde. You can stroll up and down the quayside and look at the boats or travel up to Warnemunde and watch them go out to sea but the best way to experience the festival is to go for a sail, so that is what I did. We sailed up estuary past the ferry and cruise terminals out into the sea off Warnemunde, where the sails were unfurled and the engine switched off.  It is unusual for most of us to travel on a boat with no engine running and what really struck me was just how quiet it was.  Here are some pics of the Banjaard that I was sailing on and some of the other boats we saw.

The Banjaard is on the right

There's wind in our sails!





And let's not forget the car ferry from Denmark



1 comment:

ITALY/SWITZERLAND - Food Glorious Food